Saturday, June 29, 2013

Catching Fire & Mockingjay.

Two sequels to The Hunger Games. I've finally finished reading them! It took longer than I have anticipated. Probably it was because I was not familiar with both these two plots.

Catching Fire is significantly duller than the first book. Suzanne Collins spends too many pages describing unimportant details at the beginning of the book. This is compensated with many elements of surprise towards the end, which, to me, really redeems the initial boredom of the book. 

Mockingjay is the part where, obviously, all the big pictures are revealed. I have noticed that some tiny details were left unexplained, either intentionally or not, and these unnoticed details bug me. I couldn't help but sense that there is a rush to finish the book, as if the plots and the turnings of events are not thought through. And, I especially dislike the conclusion to the "major event". Quite a lackluster. Although I appreciate how Collins does not make the main character too invincible, she appears to be too vulnerable! Too volatile, even. And, the book is shockingly too dark to my tasting. I definitely wasn't expecting the last book to be so...twisted. I actually felt slightly gloomy right after I ended the last page.

Well, hopefully when these two books are shot into movies, the writers are allowed to improve the plot.

No comments: