Monday, May 21, 2012

Dear Fatima Nasri.

This post is dedicated to you.

In Sayfol, you met your best friend, Ranya. After graduation, she left for Canada to continue her studies. In MCKL, you met another best friend. And now, you're leaving him for Germany.

And, it's not exactly an easy thing for him to accept.

The idea of your leaving to Germany is rather surreal. Probably because you're leaving too soon, at a time when it wasn't time for any intake at all. (Well, people normally begin their classes in September) And, many people haven't even left yet. You're one of the first ones, and I am still not used to my friends leaving me. Especially one who has made an impact. And, I almost don't even know where Germany is! It's like your departure is a lie, a fairy tale, a hoax, anything but a reality.

Albeit all, I have to accept that you are leaving tonight. And I don't even know when is your flight.

The memory of the early days of our friendship is all a haze to me. I will probably need your help to remind me because you are always the one with a sharp memory for things like this. I don't remember how it began, the only thing I remember is, we got along very well, very fast. It made me felt grounded, like there is a chance for a real relationship even at a new, strange place.

We were so different. You weren't even a Malaysian. Yet, we clicked. We had an understanding that was actually frightening, now that I recall. We would stumble upon a certain weird, awkward or funny situation, give each other a look and laugh like there was no tomorrow. We talked so much when we were in college, mainly due to the fact that all our classes were the same. Well I didn't talk much I think. You did most of the talking. :P But I enjoyed it nevertheless. I enjoyed listening to your rants about your life because, to be honest, weird things always happened to you and the stories about your life was always, always so funny! (This is a compliment!)

We did so many things together! We spent so much time together! I didn't even realize that we did, until rumors started spreading. Was that awkward? I don't exactly remember.

Well, among the things we did? Student Council. Sports Carnival. Birthday celebrations. Festivals in college. Our first Midsummer Masquerade! That was a whole lot of fun! With the make-up and nail polish. You seemed so cool at that time by the way. Because I hadn't known you well then. Which means after I knew you better, you were no longer cool. :P What else did we do together? Library time? Exams? Pre-exams? Post-exams? Monorail? Times Square? Did we watch movies? OH! March intake orientation camp! Remember when we were supposed to wake up in the middle of the night for the midnight game? I remember forcing you to wake up and you were trying to hit me by randomly swaying your hand at me from your sleeping bag. It was such a futile attempt, I would really have laughed out loud if I weren't so overwhelmed by my sleepiness. And that time, I was respecting you much that I tried so hard not to look at you because, well, your hair was undone. We had so much fun time, with everyone else! And also the bad times. Being late for classes. Getting reprimanded for no good reason. Conflicts. Misunderstandings. Homework problems. (LOL) How you hated some people picking fun at you. So many more.

Well the thing is, you are one of a kind. And even though after exams, we had hardly met up, it didn't mean that I never thought of you. You're not a friend easy enough to forget, y'know? So when you're gone, to Germany, it will not be the same. Your absence, from Malaysia, is different from your absence, caused by lack of meeting up. Your flying to Germany is making an impact. I have no way of putting what I feel into words, but all I know is, I am feeling emotional, and slightly sad, about your departure. Also at your refusal to tell me the time of your flight. And your refusal to let people send you off at KLIA.

But on top of those, I will miss you. Dearly. Because I have no idea when will we ever meet again. I will miss you. Because I am (sometimes) working for your mother and that will definitely make me think of you. And she has told me things you don't know, which makes it all the more emotional for me. But again, on top of it all, I wish you well, my friend. All the best!

No comments: