Sunday, January 08, 2012

HKU Interview 2012

The method with which this interview was conducted was a little unexpected to me. I really thought that HKU would want a one-to-one interview to get to know the applicants in a more personal way. Such a prestigious and famous and highly recommended university, of course they would want to choose their applicants more carefully, no? I was proven wrong. It was a group discussion-type interview. More like JPA style. But this was more straight forward. No introduction. Not much of pep talk. Straight to the point.

There were two person in the room. One lecturer, Mr Michael, from Faculty of Law. The other was from the Admission Office. I recognise her because she came to my college to give a briefing about HKU. I think her name was Li Ling. And there were six of us, interviewees, in the room. In Star Education Fair. In KLCC. (An unexpected venue if you ask me) The coincidental thing was, one of the six interviewees in my group is my primary school friend! And another one is my college friend! What coincidence!

The questioned brought forward by Mr Michael was religion-related. I don't remember how he structured his question but it was some along the line of severity of religion problems in this world and if there is any solution to it. My brained spelled What The Fuck. We managed to say something. There were two really strong speakers in my group. Confident, fluent and full of points. One of them is a girl from Help named Carmen. The other one is a guy from..no idea where. Really strong candidate. Salute them!

The whole half an hour discussion was solely focused on religion and nothing else. This topic really didn't benefit me at all. It would be the last discussion EVER that I would touch on. Yet I think I know what my weaknesses are and I will definitely try to change them. I hope I can. For a better interviews in the future, I must give it a try! Nevertheless, HKU interview was a good experience. Best of luck to the applicants who will be getting the offer!

No comments: